Je promets rien vu que je suis sur Brest, mais si je peux c'est clair que je viendrai ! :)(D'autant plus que comme je vais faire mon mémoire sur Tolkien l'année prochaine, ça risquerait fort de m'être utile :P)

Gillossen,jeudi 29 septembre 2005, 10:04 a écrit :3 brèves Tolkien en moins de 24h, ça faisait longtemps que la section n'avait pas été à pareille fête ! ;) :rolleyes: :arrow: http://www.elbakin.net/plume/tolkien/news/...n-A-Luniversite
Puisque trois nouvelles cessions de cours sont prévues à Cardiff... ;)2 October 2006 2 February 2007 23 April 2007J'ai même trouvé la FAQ. ;)
Exploring Tolkien: There and Back Again Frequently Asked QuestionsI am not a student. Can I take this course?Yes. The course is open to adult learners, as well as students.I don’t live in the UK. Can I take this course?Yes. In the past we have had students from the USA, Canada, Australia and Continental Europe. As long as you can manage with a course in English, it does not matter where you live.I haven’t read all of Tolkien’s work. Will I be able to follow the course?The course is designed for people who already have a fair knowledge of Tolkien’s work, and have at least read The Lord of the Rings (including the appendices). If you have also read The Hobbit, and The Silmarillion that’s even better. You will not going to be reading the texts in detail in the virtual class, or analyse them chapter by chapter. The course focuses mainly on Tolkien’s creative uses in his fiction of such areas of his scholarly knowledge as myth and folklore, languages and philology, as well as anthropology and archaeology.How long does the course run for?The course runs for 10 consecutive weeks, starting on 2 October 2006, 12 February 2007, and 23 April 2007 respectively.How exactly is the course run? How do the weekly units work?The course is taught in 10 weekly on-line units. You will have access to Blackboard Academic Suite, Cardiff University’s E-learning Environment, for which you will be given a username and password. Your username and password, together with instructions on how to log in and navigate into Blackboard, will be sent to you by your tutor in her welcoming e-mail on the first day of the course. The documents for each unit of the course will be uploaded on Blackboard each week. This will include your core reading material, accompanied by images when necessary, as well as links to external websites or on-line articles. Will there be any activities for me to do?In each unit there will be a set of questions for you to answer or think about. You will have the opportunity to share with your fellow-students your thoughts and comments on these questions by contributing to a Discussion Board. There will be a new Forum added to the Discussion Board every week for you to post your comments and ideas on the questions of each unit. Your tutor will be also contributing to each Forum weekly, giving you feedback on your answers and raising further points of discussion. The Discussion Board is also the appropriate space for you to ask questions on each unit’s course documents.What if I want to take the course without committing to contribute each week to the Discussion Board?Contribution to the Discussion Board is not an obligatory part of the course, neither does it count towards the course assessment. It is expected that many of the students of the course will be working full-time and will not be able to contribute to all weekly forums. The Discussion Board is there for students to use whenever and if it is convenient for them. In the past there have been interesting discussions and exchanges of ideas taking place through the Discussion Board, with the moderation of the tutor. Will I have to be on-line at specific times for the course, or can I do it at my own pace?The course is designed to be taken by students at their own pace. The course documents are uploaded on Blackboard at the beginning of each week, and your tutor will be responding to your Discussion Board postings towards the end of each week. When a new unit appears on Blackboard the old ones remain accessible, so that you can re-read past weeks’ units when you need to. In case you need to be away from your computer for a few days, you can still catch up easily with the rest of the class.What reading material you will I need?In terms of reading material, it is assumed that you have access to Tolkien’s main texts mentioned in question 3 above (if you do not already own your own copies, make sure you can check them out from your local library). The course will provide you with the rest of the main reading material. If you want to do some preparation in advance, it would be good idea to read Carpenter’s Biography, as well as Tom Shippey’s books referred to in the ‘Reading Suggestions’ list on the website of the course.Is this course accredited? How does this work?The course is a level one undergraduate course, and successful students are awarded 10 credits by the end of it. The course is assessed by a 1500-word essay which is handed in by the end of the course. You will receive a pass or fail mark from your tutor on this written assessment (if you need an exact passing mark that can also be provided), which however will be provisional until your assignment goes through an Internal Moderator and the Exam Board. Only then will your credits be awarded.Will the 10 credits of this course count towards my degree? What if I am a student in a non-UK University?The credits of this course can be used towards a qualification at any other Higher Education and/or Higher Education Lifelong Learning institution in the UK. When it comes to Universities or other Higher Education Institutions abroad, then it would depend on each institution’s policy. All of our previous international students who applied had their credits recognised by their institutions. You should get in touch with your personal tutor or with a member of staff of your department and find out about your institution’s policy. Your tutor would be happy to answer any questions your institution might have in order to judge if the credits should be transferred or not.When is my course assessment due?The course assessment, which takes the form of a 1500 word written essay, should be send to your tutor via e-mail at the beginning of the last week of the course.Will I have any help with my essay?Yes. You will have access to your tutor via e-mail so that you can ask questions on your course topic, ask for additional bibliography, or discuss the progress of your work.What will my essay be on?There can be a very wide range of topics to be covered in your course assignment. Towards the middle of the course, you will be provided with a list of potential topics from which you can choose.Will there be an opportunity for me to do my course essay on a topic I am interested in?Yes. If you have a research interest on a specific area of Tolkien’s work, then you can suggest your own topic, which you can discuss with your tutor and agree upon.Can I pay the course fee in another currency instead of GB Pounds? No. If you pay by credit card, then your card will convert your currency to GB Pounds for you. If you pay by cheque, though, make sure that it is in GB Pounds. I am a student. Am I eligible for a reduced fee?If you are a full-time student, then yes you are. In order to qualify, a current copy of entitlement to student status must be attached to your enrolment form. If you are a student in a UK University we will need a photocopy of your NUS card. If you are a student in a University abroad please provide a letter from your institution confirming that you are registered as a full time student for this academic year. I will be sending my enrolment form soon. Am I guaranteed a place in the course?No. There is a limit of students we can accept on the course, so enrolments are treated on a first-come first-served basis.

Ah si je pouvais étudier Tolkien, j'aurais tout d'un coup moins de mal à me lever le matin pour aller en cours! J'ai seulement pu profiter d'une heure de cours sur Tolkien, sa vie, son oeuvre etc. en cours d'anglais, après la correction du sujet de mon concours blanc où la version était tirée des Deux Tours. Le sujet de la rédaction qui suivait était "Analyze the epic quality of his passage" le passage en question étant le moment où Aragorn, Legolas et Gimli rencontrent les cavaliers du Rohan.

J'ai enfin réussi à lire en entier le texte sur le Livre Rouge :) Je ne dirais pas que j'ai tout compris parce que je ne connais pas assez le travail de Tolkien pour connaître toutes les références, mais c'est très intéressant de voir comment l'histoire du Livre (et le rôle des histoires dans le SDA) que l'on imaginait assez simple est en réalité beaucoup plus complexe avec toutes les (fausses) pistes et les détails donnés par l'auteur.

Esgalaelin : Ah si je pouvais étudier Tolkien, j'aurais tout d'un coup moins de mal à me lever le matin pour aller en cours! J'ai seulement pu profiter d'une heure de cours sur Tolkien, sa vie, son oeuvre etc. en cours d'anglais, après la correction du sujet de mon concours blanc où la version était tirée des Deux Tours. Le sujet de la rédaction qui suivait était "Analyze the epic quality of his passage" le passage en question étant le moment où Aragorn, Legolas et Gimli rencontrent les cavaliers du Rohan.
C'est déjà pas si mal. Perso, le seul moment ou j'ai pu caser un peu de Tolkien en cours, c'était en iut, et la prof avait demandé de faire un petit mémoire sur un "sujet libre". J'avais pris "Les peuples Fantastique". Et si ce mémoire n'était pas necessairement le mieux écrit, il était assurément le mieux illustré, avec des tas d'image d'Alan lee (entre autre) un peu partout histoire d'illustrer les peuples susnommé (et notamment les fameux Hobbits chers au coeur de ce brave Tolkien).Mais c'est vrai qu'étudier Harry Potter au collège et Tolkien au lycée, ca aurait ptete fait de moi un litteraire ;-pp

Je comprends que ces cours ont du succès en ce moment (surtout avec un nom pareil :p ), mais tiendront-ils réellement dans le temps ? Enfin, l'avenir nous le dira, mais personnellement, je préférerais suivre un cours sur les écrits de Tolkien ;)Tanis

J'en connais un qui va quitter sa Normandie pour retourner sur les bancs de l'université... ;)Ce qui serait sympa, c'est que ces cours soient accessibles pour tout le monde. :)

Je ne quitte rien du tout, le miracle de l'internet marche aussi au bord de la mer...mais l'accès sera sans doute restreint aux inscrits de ladite université.Le bon point, qui a fait l'objet du thème final du colloque Tolkien 2008, c'est que Tolkien va finir par devenir un auteur à égalité avec ceux qui sortent pour les grands examens (agrég et doctorat).

Tolkien par delà les frontières !Plus sérieusement, est-ce que ces cours sont ceux qu'il aurait voulu ? Je veux dire, est-ce que Tolkien souhaitait que son œuvre soit disséquée et enseignée ? Certes, c'est une forme de reconnaissance perpétuelle, mais bon... c'est son travail, pas celui de Dimitra Fimi ou de l'université de Cardiff. Ou alors est-ce qu'on considère que l'histoire des Terres du Milieu est tombé dans le domaine publique ?